I read a note this morning that said Jorge Posada was going to announce his retirement from the Yankees and baseball tomorrow. Posada played his entire 17 year career with the Yankees and he was a key component on their 5 World Series championships since 1996.
I also read that he is probably a lock for the Hall of Fame. Maybe not first ballot, but he will definitely get in. Let’s take a look at his credentials.
– Power: 8th on the all-time catcher list for home runs……… Check
– Clutch: 11th on the catcher list for RBI’s…………Check
– Recognition: 5 time All-Star and 5 time Silver Slugger Award winner…….Check
– He was a part of 5 World Series winners………Check
– And of course, he was a Yankee………Check
But wait, is he really a shoe-in?
– He has only hit above .287 once in his career, and under .250 eight times.
– Of his five All-Star games, he was only named a starter twice. Not that the fans always pick the best player, but it does give you an overall feeling of what people thought of him.
– He’s never won a Gold Glove. I mean, if you’re not gonna win a Gold Glove as a catcher, than you better dominate on offense if you plan on making it into the Hall; and Posada didn’t.
– Yes he has 5 WS rings, but I think players like Jeter, Rivera, Martinez, Clemens, Petitte, and Williams can lay more claim as to being the key cog in the machine.
Let’s look at a few comparables.
—————————- G H HR RBI Avg
Player A: 1988 1782 324 1070 .252
Player B: 1829 1664 275 1065 .273
Player C: 1503 1527 260 864 .287
One player is Lance Parrish, one is Javy Lopez and one is Jorge Posada. Both Parrish and Lopez received less than 5% of the vote and were dropped off the HOF ballot after just one appearance. And without me telling you which player is which (Parrish-A, Posada-B, Lopez-C); I bet that you had a hard time picking out Posada.
So I say Posada was a good player, and he deserves the moment in the sun that he is going to get tomorrow when he retires, but when you start to hear things like “great player”, “best catcher of his era”, and “HOF lock”; think twice.